"Arts education aids students in skills needed in the workplace: flexibility, the ability to solve problems and communicate; the ability to learn new skills, to be creative and innovative, and to strive for excellence."

Key Stage 3

The National Curriculum for Art and Design at Key Stage Three aims to ensure that all pupils:

• Produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences.
• Become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques.
• Evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
• Know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.

Pupils are required to gather and use resources, develop, review and modify their ideas and work in two and three dimensional media, where possible including IT. This balance is achieved across 3 years - however, the practice of drawing and painting will be used in order to continually reinforce and expand the fundamental principles of Art & Design. Pupils are taught in mixed ability groups throughout the year.

The examination has a practical and written content, in which pupils are required to show evidence of their knowledge and understanding of Art, and demonstrate their technical and imaginative skills.

Key Stage 4

Exam Board: OCR

Assessment Methods   

GCSE Art J171 is a broad course offering pupils the opportunity to work in a variety of media. We find that this course suits most pupils and is a good preparation for continued study at A level. Those with a particular interest in painting, graphic work or textiles will also be able to work in these specialised areas as part of the broad course but occasionally may choose to follow a focused course. Drawing and Painting are fundamental skills in the study of Art and essential for continued study at A level. Drawing and painting form a major part of the course in both years. Pupils will work in a range of materials and techniques that might include pencils, pastels, paint (watercolour, gouache collage, mixed media or print). They may produce work based on direct observation, imagination or personal experience.

60% of the marks will be gained through coursework. The remaining 40% of the marks will be gained through the exam.

In all the courses pupils will be expected to meet four equal assessment objectives:
1. Record from observation, experience and ideas.
2. Analyse images, showing understanding of context.
3. Use a range of media, processes and resources, reviewing and modifying work as it progresses.
4. Present a personal response, making connections with the work of others.

For more information please visit the OCR Art GCSE course page of the exam board's website for key information about the Art and Design GCSE specification. Additionally please make direct contact with the Art department staff if you have any specific queries.

Key Stage 5

Exam Board: OCR

Assessment Methods

The aims of these syllabuses in Art and Design are to stimulate, encourage and develop:
• The ability to perceive, understand and express concepts and feelings.
• The ability to record from direct observation and personal experience.
• The ability to communicate by using appropriate materials and techniques in a disciplined way.
• Experimentation, innovation and the use of intuition and imagination.
• Critical and analytical faculties; the ability to identify, research and evaluate the problems in a systematic way.
• Confidence, initiative and sense of adventure and achievement.
• The acquisition of a relevant working vocabulary.
• An awareness and appreciation of the interdependence of Art and the individual within cultural contexts.

The A level now consists of a full 2 year course broken down into 60% coursework unit and a 40% exam unit. In the second year of the course students will direct their own coursework theme which culminates in a final piece. Students will also produce a written personal study of up to 3000 words and sit a 15 Hour Controlled Test. It is vitally important that students understand the time consuming nature of the course and are motivated to complete at least 5 hours of independent study each week.

For more information please visit the OCR Art A level course page of the exam board's website for key information about the Art and Design A level specification. Additionally please make direct contact with the Art department staff if you have any specific queries.



Upcoming Events

26 Sep

Year 10 Rugby vs Hockerill at St Mary's Catholic School

4:00pm - 6:00pm
27 Sep

St Mary's Catholic School "Open Evening"

6:00pm - 8:30pm